At the cat show : a breeder's guide on prevention of infectious diseases | Q&A from our last webinar !

I'm running late tonight, we just finished our last webinar series on prevention of infectious diseases at the cat show. We had two days of great discussions with cat lovers from all over the planet ! A great online experience, that's for sure ! We also got many questions. You will find our written answers ! And if you wonder about anything else on this topic, feel free to ask ! We'll be happy to help if we can, as usual ! 

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hypochlorous acid : do you know how effective it is against Parvo and Calicivirus ?

Like bleach, hypochlorous acid is chlorid-base and has the same spectrum of action.

It will therefore address parvo & calicivirus.

If my cat has had an upper respiratory infection how long before I can attend a show after all signs are gone?

The answer really depends in fact on the pathogen initially causing the URI. Two most common to consider are herpes (FHV-1) and calicivirus.

When the URI is caused by herpes, cats typically shed the virus for 1-3 weeks post-infection.

When the URI is caused by calicivirus, the shedding will last way longer : it is considered that 50% of cats will still shed feline calicivirus 75 days after infection !

More information on the other pathogens involved here : http://royalcaninbreedersclub.ning.com/profiles/blogs/e-book-upper-...

If I use vinyl gloves (one time use only) while cleaning litter box, is it enough or should I still desinfect my hands ?

If you use vinyl gloves while performing those tasks, it can replace hand-washing. It does provide indeed a physical barrier that will protect your hands from being in contact with potential pathogens you could carry around.

That being said, it is still important to wash / sanitize your hands several times throughout the day when you are at the cat show.

Bathing/grooming regimen used to make coat fluffy (especially regular use of strong degreasers) can potentially cause skin damage and increase risk of contracting ringworm?

There are great shampoos that will help control and still provide a nice hair coat. Don’t hesitate to discuss this with your veterinarian !

The judging cages are only sprayed with disinfectant and never wash with soap and water. This is the area of concern, what would you suggest we could do about this?

Remember what we mentioned earlier : a good cleaning is always better than a poor disinfection.

Moreover, some products are what we call “disinfecting cleaners”. They do not clean AND disinfect at the same time (no product can do that yet) but it will have some detergent abilities that will allow them to provide also good cleaning. That is the case for instance for quaternary ammoniums, potassium peroxymonosulfate and accelerated hydrogen peroxides. Bleach, on the other hand, CANNOT be used for cleaning. 

Which disinfectant can harm the cats paws if not dried properly ?

Bleach is well-known for this so that is why it is important to rinse it properly after letting it sit for 10 minutes. For disinfectant that can cause this type of side effect, it is usually recommended the rinse the surface after use.

I would definitely recommend you to check what we call the MSDS – Material Safety Data Sheet – for each product you want to use, this document will provide you with this type of information. More about MSDS here : http://royalcaninshelterprogram.ning.com/profiles/blogs/msds-what-t...

How can we disinfect any toys that we bring to the show hall ?

That can be difficult indeed. I think it is always important to think forward :

-          Always try to use toys that are easy to clean and disinfect ;

-          While at the cat show, disinfecting/cleaning wipes can be of great help for that as well ;

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Members

© 2017   Created by Royal Canin Canada.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service